Saturday, June 28, 2008


We are the people our parents warned us about.
- Jimmy Buffett


I come from a long line of early adopters in the use of technology. Of course, it's all from my mother's side. My mother always had an interest in computers. She was online in chat rooms since the early 90's. (She even fell in love online in 1992, and moved to New Jersey for the relationship!) My grandmother has long been interested in computers. I remember programming in BASIC on the Apple IIc in 7th grade. What the heck could I possibly have been programming?? "Grammie" has had a new computer every 2 years or so since then. Grammie has long been a social networker as well, being a very active member of the PAL's club, a nationwide network of create-a-card experts. She has even traveled to conferences across the US to meet fellow PAL's. I hear that my great-grandmother even harangued my Grampy into buying a new-fangled tele-vision set.

Why am I thinking about this? I was just thinking about who at my school might be interested in blogging. I'm coming up with a big fat NOONE. Well, the technology teacher might blog already. Other than that.....mmm, no one. We have some brilliant teachers. Brilliant!! I am not sure how excited they would be about adding technology into their classes. I plan on doing some professional development, where teachers can choose to learn more about Web2.0. With so many other 'new ideas' in education, I'm not sure I can convince them that this trend is not only here to stay, but it will be growing grander and more extensive every year.

Conclusion? I better find them some good stuff, and not what their grandmothers are used to.

No comments: