Friday, June 13, 2008

A time to reflect


Part of the IB environment includes significant time to reflect. As I reflect on the current year, I am thinking of things that I did better and things that I could do better. This year is different, however, in that I am chomping at the bit for the kids to come back.

Since the IB program is tracked from 6th to 8th grade, I already know (well, i KNEW, now I'm not even sure what my position will be) who my kids will be. I've already had a chance to meet them in th cafeteria, during assemblies, when I'm in the technology or band class, and from coaching 6th grade basketball. I love these kids already! I can't wait to teach them about dependent and independent variables and the relationships between them and how to draw a graph and introduce them to the concept of slope and linear equations. I can't wait to use slinkies to demonstrate waves. I can't wait to tie dye at the end of next year.

I loved this year of teaching. It was my third year, and definitely the best so far. I felt that in the 1st year, I learned how to come to work without crying. (I taught ESE inclusion with 40 ESE kids split in two classes, with 3 preps including language arts, science, and reading. Did I mention that I had no planning?) The second year I learned classroom management, and now that the third year is complete I've learned more about how to teach. My progress in assessment and in organization have been the biggest improvements.

Next year will be the year that I put it all together. I'm going to be adding (and improving upon) the technology strategies that I've learned, the cooperative learning strategies, AVID strategies, and my knowledge of science in general.

In short, I can't wait for August!

Disclaimer: This anticipation will not stop me from sleeping until noon or getting a great tan.

No comments: