Thursday, June 12, 2008

Thinking out loud


Here is the next "required" post for my blog. It's funny, for someone that doesn't like to journal or keep a diary, I was in the shower this morning actually thinking about what I would put in my blog! Of course it was brilliant, and of course I have no idea what I was going to write.

In other news, I may be switched with another teacher in my school. I currently teach physical science to the 7th grade IB team. Potentially, I'll be teaching 8th grade earth/space science to AVID students. I LOVE AVID! The problem? Moving all my stuff! I mean wow how things pile up over the course of a few years. I would also be moving from a classroom with 10 computers in it to one with ONLY the teacher PC. Supposedly 18 laptops were stolen from our school at the beginning of last year. Hello, isn't this stuff insured? Anyways, I won't have the same access in the new classroom (which is an OLD classroom) as I did in my old classroom (which is a NEW classroom). Ugh!

Truly though, the material would be easier to deal with, since earth/space science is more reading and modeling and describing than physical science. I mean, you can measure a force or feel a magnetic interaction, but it's not like you would reach out and touch a star. Plus the projects that I could do with earth science and the environment! sigh....

I suppose that whatever the outcome, I will be happy. Going to 8th grade would mean that I will have taught all the middle school sciences (life, physical, and earth/space). However, it would also mean that I would have the science FCAT. And that I would have 8th graders, who I taught my first year and didn't particularly like!

Good thing I believe in the goodness of the universe to provide the best opportunity for me and my students ;)

1 comment:

Wendy DG said...

It sounds like a lot of interest and excitement for the new year. There are always so many pluses and minuses to a move from one grade to another. But, I think it's very valuable to your career to have the full middle grades experience. As for the kids...maybe some of them have matured over the last 2 years. (I know. You're laughing at that, but there's always hope.)

Wendy