Monday, June 16, 2008

It's ALLLL coming together now

Today I attended a Science Leadership Academy. The session was led by Lee Meadows from the University of Alabama, and focused on the benefits of adding inquiry to the classroom. (I took some notes here.) I enjoyed the activities today, and I'm always willing to admit that I don't know as much as people think I do. What was coming together for me, was the past 3 years of teaching, my experience designing training for adults in my previous non-teacher life, and the work that I'm doing in the course I'm taking at UF.

I think that as far as the inquiry model goes Lee was preaching to the 5E choir. 99.99% of teachers in that room have a strong belief in the need for inquiry based lessons, and would likely implement Inquiry (with a big "I") to some degree immediately (if not already) given the resources and the lesson plans.

The coolest thing from today? Being able to subscribe to the blog of an education leader that I actually met! I've never in the past taken a class and then turned around and had a virtually instantaneous application of the course material. How many of our students take a class like that? Admittedly, much of their life is not in progress yet, but what are we doing to provide a scaffold for them in that future life?

Yeah so I'm standing there contemplating the whole blog thing and the RSS feed thing and I'm thinking "why doesn't everyone know this?" HA! I didn't even know it myself until 2 weeks ago. How far I've come :)

And on a related but completely tangential topic:
Who makes these videos and why aren't more teachers being exposed to them?

No comments: