Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Shift Happens - YOU WILL

We've all seen the Shift Happens video. I'm positive that I've seen it at least 3 or 4 times, in 3 or 4 different settings. Well, I was browsing through another, more experienced blogger's site, The Tech Savvy Educator, when I came across the video below. Does anyone remember this old AT&T commercial series called "You Will"? These commercials depicted a high tech world of the future, with crazy things like GPS devices, paying tolls without stopping, video conferencing, and other uses beyond our imaginations. These commercials are from 1993, the year I started at community college. Ahh, the good old days, where we all had home telephones and had to actually toss quarters into the toll collector.

My son begrudgingly watched this video while he waited for his next XBox interactive game to load (you know, the one where he is on a military team with men and boys from Canada, New Mexico, Ohio, and Early Frost Circle). The most shocking thing to him was the "outrageousness" of buying concert tickets online. Fifteen years after this commercial, we take online ticket purchases for granted.

Ticketmaster began in 1976. Who would have thought then what changes would occur in not even 20 year's time?

2 comments:

Ben said...

It's a nice trip down memory lane, isn't it? I especially love the "send a fax from the beach." I actually had to send a fax the other day and it felt almost archaic, as if I was using a rotary telephone.

Glad you enjoyed the post!

Wendy DG said...

Interesting and a little creepy. Thanks for sharing. I'm posting your reference on Twitter to share.

Wendy